Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ultimaker style XY gantry




I've been on and off experimenting with HBot designs, there are some videos of a couple of my prototypes on YouTube here and here if your interested. The issue that arises is that the belt geometry introduces a racking force that if the design is not extremely rigid causes crosstalk in the motion as the carriage moves across the bar in the H.

The Ultimaker design has many of the same advantages, notably static motors resulting in low moving mass,  the above video was a simple X/Y stage I put together so I could better understand the pros and cons.

The obvious con with the Ultimaker design is that the outside travel rods also rotate, so you can'y use LM8UU style bearings there. I'm using 1 inch long bronze bushings on 5/16 drill rod. Again I can't use 8mm rods because an 8mm precision rod won't fit in the 8mm hole of the 608 bearings I'm using to support the rod. The rods for the cross piece are 8mm and on them I'm using LM8UUL bearings since they do not rotate.

There is surprisingly little play in the design, the coupled belts remove almost all of slop.
The design is however extremely sensitive to alignment, towards the end of the video above you can hear one of the bushings vibrating, that's caused by the cross piece being very slightly askew resulting in increased static friction on the bushing. I fixed it just after shooting the video by loosening two of the pulleys and adjusting the alignment.

I have a couple of other issues in this prototype, the printed corner pieces aren't really rigid enough and it needs something to stop the 7/16th's rod moving in the 608 bearings, but it's pretty promising.

I have some parts here for 4th HBot prototype, my intent is to use the CoreXY mechanics this time, it looks like it resolves the issue with unwanted racking forces. So it should make an interesting comparison. I just need to make some time and finish the design.


11 comments:

  1. I make my extuder idler's shaft with leftovers of 8mm smooth rod.

    What diameter are your 8mm smooth rods not to fit in 608 bearings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're 8mm chromed rods from VXB, my micrometer says they are pretty much right on 8mm. I could probably get an interference fit if I were to cool the rods or heat the bearings.

      Delete
  2. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing. Affordable SEO Company Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciating the time and effort you putt into your blog and in depth information you present.Thanks for this list.

    AVAST SECURELINE VPN LICENSE FILE 2017

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Great Post. We are professional, delivering a world-class moving, relocation, removal, and storage solutions at highly competitive market prices in Dubai-UAE.
    movers in dubai
    best movers in dubai
    villa movers in dubai
    Local Movers in Dubai
    Dubai Moving Company
    office movers in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Group Buy SEO Tools Service is giving the best SEO tools in the market with more than 30 SEO apparatuses. You can get all the premium SEO Tools from that point at a modest cost. You will get the best uptime of the tools and backing from that point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are interested in increasing your site speed and optimizing your website for the search engines, then you should want to check out the SEO Tools that is listed above. These tools can make the process of optimizing your site much easier, and they are extremely affordable as well. Ahrefs in cheap group buy

    ReplyDelete